ARK Oral Motor proPreefer
The ARK Oral Motor proPreefer has a cylindrical design with long striations around its circumference - perfect for when a "rolling action" is desired during oral-motor treatment and sensory development.
Availability: In stock
The ARK Oral Motor proPreefer design was requested by many therapists who liked ARK's Probe, but wanted a round end instead for a different sensation. The proPreefer has a cylindrical design with long striations around its circumference - perfect for when a "rolling action" is desired during oral-motor treatment and sensory development. Use it to roll over the lips, across the surface of the tongue, inside the cheek area, etc., for oral stimulation and massage.
The proPreefer was specifically designed with safety in mind. The handle is made out of a hard, medical grade plastic. Then the same soft, medical grade material as the Grabber is moulded through and around a loop in the handle so that the tip will not fall off. At less than five inches in length, they're super lightweight, compact, and portable. Ideal for oral motor exercises, gum massage, and sensory stimulation whether you're at home, in therapy, or anywhere in between.
- Dip the proPreefer in foods to use it as a "dipper spoon" in feeding therapy. This is an excellent tactic for beginning spoon-users. It also helps introduce texture to puréed foods and eases the transition from puréed to textured foods. Sticky foods work well, like stage 1 baby foods, applesauce, ice cream, yogurt, etc.
- Most of us are either visual or auditory learners. But when these two senses are not enough, you may need to physically direct the articulators for certain speech and feeding skills. Use the proPreefer to provide targeted tactile cues within the oral cavity to teach tongue elevation, tongue lateralization, lip closure, rotary chewing, and much more. For example, use the proPreefer to apply gentle pressure to the alveolar ridge (just behind the upper front teeth). Then remove the proPreefer and instruct the individual to touch the same spot with his/her tongue tip. Follow up by prompting the individual to say the tongue tip sounds /t/d/n/l/.
- Stimulate the gums, palate, lips, cheek, and tongue by tapping, stroking, and applying gentle pressure. Roll the proPreefer over the articulators (across the tongue, over the lips, inside the cheeks, etc.) to increase awareness.
The ARK proPreefer has also been used in the NICU to stimulate a suck - place the tip of the proPreefer just inside the baby's mouth, and gently pull it in and out to stimulate a sucking action.
- Made in the U.S.A. out of medical grade quality, FDA compliant materials.
- No lead, phthalates, PVC, BPA, or latex.
- Recommended for ages infancy and up under the guidance of a professional therapist.
Caution! - This therapeutic tool should be used under adult supervision at all times.