The ARK Y-Chew is an oral-motor chew tool - available in soft, XT and XXT - Exercise the lips, tongue, cheeks, and especially the jaw, encouraging oral sensory motor development and strengthening of oral structures, through oral exploration.
ARK's Y-Chew® is an oral motor chew tool that comes in 3 colour-coded toughness levels.
- Y-Chew - Soft (light blue) - recommended for mild chewers, and/or those with limited oral tone who need to build up their jaw strength.
- Y-Chew XT (Orange) - is an "Xtra Tough" version. It's firmer but still chewy, recommended for moderate chewers and/or those who prefer more resistance as they chew. Or for those with a weak jaw, individuals can "graduate" from the original Y-Chew to this tougher version to gradually build jaw strength.
- Y-Chew XXT - (royal blue) is super firm ("Xtra Xtra Tough"), recommended for avid chewers and/or those who like to chew on very firm items.
The Y-Chew features 3 different extensions to chew on, each with its own texture (smooth, ribbed, and bumpy) for a varied sensory experience. Use it to exercise the lips, tongue, cheeks, and especially the jaw, allowing the mouth to learn and grow strong through oral exploration. It can also be used:
- As an oral fidget for sensory seekers craving oral input and stimulation
- As a safe alternative to biting/chewing on fingers, shirts, and other hazardous or inappropriate non-food items
- To decrease thumb sucking, tooth grinding, and finger/knuckle biting
- To practice biting/chewing skills without the risk of choking
- To improve jaw strength, jaw stability, tongue movement, and other feeding skills
- To satisfy the urge to chew for individuals who are fed through a g-tube
- To build oral tone, strength, mobility, control, coordination, and endurance
- To decrease oral sensitivities, oral defensiveness, and food aversions
- Made in the U.S.A. from medical grade, FDA compliant materials.
- Contains no lead, phthalates, PVC, BPA, or latex. Moulded from a single, solid piece of material with no holes or crevices that could harbour saliva or bacteria.
Caution! - Although these chew tools are made out of sturdy, medical grade materials, they are not indestructible. Some individuals (particularly those with heavy oral needs and aggressive biting/chewing) may be able to damage the tools. How long they last may depend on the oral sensory needs of the child as well as other variables. Please supervise at all times and replace if necessary when the item shows signs of wear and tear.